(Mariposa in Spanish, and Titali in Sanskrit)
Butterflies go through a metamorphosis, transforming from an egg to a butterfly in a remarkable series of changes.
This metamorphosis can correspond to a child developing into an adult, thus the inspiration for butterfly pose. In children’s yoga, the transformation occurs as a child gains strength, confidence and connectedness within herself and to the world around her.
Affirmations: I am Beautiful! I am capable!
“And there came a time when the risk of remaining closed tight in a bud
far outweighed the risk it took to bloom.”
Anais Nin, French Author
Butterfly pose begins
A simple butterfly pose begins by sitting up tall on the floor feeling your spine reaching upward.
- Grasp your feet with your hands and bring the souls of your feet together, drawing them toward you.
- Allow your bent knees to fall open like butterfly wings.
- Breathe in and lift your knees up, breathe out and lower your knees.
- Flutter, flutter, like a beautiful butterfly.
To undergo the butterfly’s metamorphosis, begin the pose pretending to be a butterfly egg, by sitting on the floor with a tall spine.
- Bring your knees into your chest
- wrap your arms around your legs and relax your shoulders
- Rest your head on your knees and sit quietly for five breaths.
Become a caterpillar
Now, become a caterpillar by placing your hands on the floor by your hips, stretch your legs out in front of you, and bring your legs and feet together. Breathe out, bending your knees up to your chest like a little caterpillar. Inhale and stretch your legs out in front of you again. Repeat 5 times.
Become a chrysalis
Become a chrysalis by bringing your knees into your chest again,
- wrap your arms around your legs and relax your shoulders.
- Rest your head on your knees and sit calmly for 5 breaths.
Emerge into a full, beautiful butterfly
Now you are ready to emerge into a full, beautiful butterfly.
- Lift your head and open 1 wing at a time, keeping your knees bent.
- Bring the soles of your feet together close to your body
- breathe in and lift your knees up
- breathe in and lower your knees, one at a time, spreading your wings.
Imagine you are flying like a butterfly with beautiful wings and long antennae reaching out from your head.
- What color is your butterfly?
- Where are you flying?
- Continue to flap your wings.
- Hold the outsides of your feet
- Lead with your heart, and fold forward over your feet
- Rest here for 5 breaths.
- “Nose to Toes” – Lift one leg and bring your toes to your nose and then switch sides.
- Open-Winged Butterfly – Begin in Butterfly Pose and hold your big toes.
Stretch one leg at a time out to the side until both of your legs are lifted, and you are balancing on your bottom.
Keep your spine straight and your stomach muscles strong.
- Butterfly Journey: Take a friend on a butterfly journey
Teach them how to do butterfly pose, then tell stories about butterflies flying.
Where do they fly?
What do they see?
What colors are the flowers they visit?
How does the air feel as they fly?
(from “The Kids Yoga Card Deck”)
- “Sleeping Butterfly”: With your knees bent and the souls of your feet together
Lie back and stretch your arms out, palms to the sky.
Exhale, bring your legs together and feet flat on the floor.
Inhale and open your legs.
Repeat 5 times.
Lie on your back with your legs and wings open and become a sleeping butterfly.